RECIPE: Marmalade Cake
Goes well as elevensies or afternoon tea. Will give 10 – 12 slices depending on generosity
1 cup Wholegrain Spelt Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
¼ teaspoon Ground Allspice
½ cup Ground Almonds
65g Melted Butter
60g Natural Greek Yogurt
1 Large Egg
- Set oven to preheat at 180c
- In bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together until evenly distributed throughout
- In a 2nd bowl, beat together all the wet ingredients
- Fold together wet and dry ingredients
- Pour into a loaf pan and smooth out
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden, pulling away from the edges and when inserted a skewer comes out clean
- Cool in the pan before turning out
- I use spelt for the additional nutrition but ordinary Self Raising flour would be fine, the baking powder can then be omitted.
- Ground Almonds could be replaced with finely chopped pecans.
- I use a rich dark marmalade like Dundee or Seville.
- I use a silicon loaf pan as it doesn’t need greasing or lining.
- Could be enhanced with ¼ cup of mixed peel for extra zestiness.