RECIPE: Pecan Pie
This is not healthy, but it is nice and as a celebration or festival treat, who cares. At least by making it yourself you know what’s in it.
1 unbaked pastry pie crust
2 cups pecan nuts, chopped
1/4 pack unsalted butter (approx 63g)
1 cup demerara sugar
2/3 cup maple syrup
- Set oven to preheat at 175c
- Line your pie tin with pastry and back in fridge to stay chilled
- Chop 2 cups of pecan nuts
- In a bowl. cream together the butter and some of the sugar as you would for a cake
- Beat in the eggs
- Add the balance of sugar and maple syrup and mix well
- Put all the chopped pecans into crust and level out
- Pour over butter/sugar/syrup mix
- Cover with a foil hat and into the oven about half an hour
- Depending on your oven, another 20 minutes or so without the foil
You can tell it is done when there is just a slight wobble in the middle.
If it takes longer than the 20 minutes you may need to pop the foil back on to prevent burning
Inspired by http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/best-ever-pecan-pie-834
RECIPE: Spelt Pastry
Makes 3 crusts. Good for quiches, tarts and pies, sweet or savoury.
250g unsalted butter, frozen then grated
3 cups Spelt flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
10-12 tablespoons cold water
- In bowl, mix flour, salt and frozen butter, rub together until it starts to look crummy
- Add just enough water for it to start to come together
- Knead it just enough to form a smooth ball. It will probably look a little blotchy where some of the butter bits are less mixed in
- Divide up and freeze or use as required
Inspired by http://scandinavianfood.about.com/od/pastryrecipes/r/Basic-Spelt-Pie-Crust.htm
RECIPE: Vanilla Fizz
In an effort to be a healthier me I am minimising my sugar consumption and avoiding synthetic sweeteners if for no other reason than to my taste buds they are ghastly. I find myself yearning for fizz, maybe lemonade or cream soda. Homemade lemonade, where I can control the sugar, takes a while but vanilla I have.
2 litres Sparkling Spring Water
3 or 4 Drops Vanilla Extract
Carefully add vanilla, too much and it will taste like cheap custard
Turn the bottle to allow the essence to distribute through the bottle
Allow time to settle and be careful when you open it.